I couldn’t have asked for a better start to my day yesterday. I woke up to a tweet saying that I’ve received a Liebster Award (my very first!) from the wonderful Julie of The Gap Year Edit, so here’s a big Thanks to you, Julie! 🙂
The Liebster Award is in recognition of upcoming bloggers and there’s no better recognition than one that’s coming from your fellow bloggers, so I’m absolutely thrilled about this.
Here are my answers in response to Julie’s 11 questions:
1. What’s your first travel memory?
The earliest memory I have is of a trip to Oman at age seven. I’ve forgotten most of the details but I do remember this one restaurant where I loved the food so much that I insisted going there every day.
2. If you could pick any country to revisit, which one would it be and why
I’d love to go back to Vietnam because there’s a large part of the country that I missed seeing the first time.I’m a slow traveller and usually like to stay for a long time in one place. I’d love to go back to see places such as Hue, Dalat and Mui Ne.
3. Beach or mountain?
Funny enough I always thought I was a beach person. Once I started travelling, I realized that I love mountains way more than beaches. I love the fresh mountain air, stunning scenery and trekking through forests and villages.
4. Bus, bicycle or boat?
Bus, and always window seat. I sleep very soundly on buses and hardly ever get bored. When I’m not entertained by the scenery, a book or my music, I can happily doze off in minutes.
5. What’s your favourite city, and why?
At the moment, it’s Melbourne because of its cool, bohemian vibe and the amazing street art. I didn’t get to see all of it of course, but I’d love to go back and spend more time there.
6. Where have you found it easiest to interact with locals?
Bangladesh has been my favourite country when it comes to this. The local people in the villages were very warm, kind and opened up their homes to us in a way I have never experienced elsewhere. They talked about their lives and asked about mine as if we were old friends!
7. How do you push your comfort zone when you travel?
I consciously try to do physically challenging acts on my travels, some of which can be scary. I used to be afraid of heights, but on my recent trip to New Zealand, I went paragliding in Queenstown. It was an unbelievably liberating feeling! In Sri Lanka and Nepal, I did some strenuous hikes which not only tested my fitness but also my willpower.
8. How do you decide which country you’ll visit next?
This one is hard to answer because like most travellers, I have a never ending wishlist of places I want to go. Mostly, I just listen to my heart, make sure that the place has decent weather and I can afford to fly there.
9. What’s the longest you’ve been away from home for?
Five weeks and it was not long enough!
10. Which three items in your backpack/suitcase that you just can’t travel without?
A flash light, notebook and my camera.
11. What’s your favourite travel quote?
“I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.”
― Robert Louis Stevenson
Here are my nominations for the Liebster Award. These are travel bloggers whose work I really enjoy reading and so here’s my appreciation!
My nominees need to write a post that includes answers to my questions and these rules of the Liebster Award:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you, and include a link back to their blog.
- Share the travel love by answering the 11 questions below.
- Nominate 5–11 new bloggers who you think deserve recognition!
- Pose 11 questions to your nominees.
- Display the Liebster Award logo on your page.
- List these rules (1-6) in your post.
Well, here are my questions, can’t wait to read your answers!
- Have you ever had a funny ‘lost in translation’ moment? If yes, please describe it.
- Do you enjoy solo travel or do you prefer travelling with a companion and why?
- Have you ever tried to completely switch off from technology on your travels? How was the experience?
- In which place did you enjoy the food the most?
- What’s the most expensive thing you ever bought while travelling?
- Which is your favorite travel movie?
- Which place is on top of your wish list at the moment?
- Is there a place that did not live up to your expectations?
- How important is local cultural immersion to you? Any memorable experiences?
- In how much detail do you plan your travel itinerary? Are you more organized or spontaneous?
- Describe what travel means to you in 3 words.
Congratulations on your Liebster Award! I’m looking forward to following along on your travels 🙂